Step 1: What tools can I use to figure out what my picture is about?
- Analyze and make observations about the photograph - is there anything or anyone in there that is "searchable"?
- Does the photography provide any words, descriptions, or captions that you can use to search?
- Can you locate that image, or similar images, on a image search such as Google Reverse Image? If so, what additional information can you locate?
Step 2: What is the historical context? Why is it historically significant?
- Now that I have an idea what my image is about - what time period can I place it in?
- What is the context of the picture, does it connect or relate to another historical event or movement?
- Does the image provide an alternative or varying perspective on a well-known subject or event?
- Why was this image taken?
- What does the angle, subject, or other artistic compositions convey about its historical significance?
Step 3: What approach or focus will I use to interpret the image? How will this shape my thesis?
- From what approach can I interpret my photograph?
- What are the possible topics or sub topics that I can address? (who, what, when, where, why)
- My thesis is too broad - Am I overwhelmed by the amount of information I find? Does it cover to large of a time period of geographical area?
- My thesis is too specific or not accurate - Am I having a hard time locating reliable sources? Are the sources I am finding opinion based or too generic?
Step 4: How can I find academic information to support my thesis?
- Have a tried a variety of sources? (i.e. media, articles, primary sources, documentaries, other images)
- Am I switching up my keywords? Trying synonyms, varying "nicknames", terminology, or different word combinations?
- Have I tried to truncate my search term? (i.e. searching for child* will yield results with children, childhood, childcare, etc)
- Am I combining database sources with internet searching?
- Was I able to locate an author or publishing site? Can I verify that they are qualified to write and publish on the subject?